Lavender Scented Sensory Tray Activity
Is your toddler at the "must smell everything" stage? We often take our babies' sense of smell for granted but the Lavender Scented Sensory Tray is a great way to engage their senses and make use of their highly developed sense of smell!
📷 & idea: @meghan_0x
All you need?
- 6 cups Rice
- 1 teaspoon Lavender Essential Oil
- 6 tablespoons Water
- Purple Food Dye, optional
- Lavender Buds or Stalks, optional
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Tray
- Sensory Bin
What to do?
- Add several drops of the food dye and a couple drops of lavender essential oil to the water and then stir into the rice.
- Stir the dyed water well in the rice until fully coated, adding more water and dye as needed.
- Pour the dyed rice out onto a cookie sheet or tray and flatten into an even layer.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- Place the rice in a sensory tray or bin. If you have lavender buds or lavender stalks, they make a great addition to this sensory bin.
What kind of learning opportunities does this craft provide?
- Tactile Sensory Input
- Hand-eye coordination
- Gross motor skills
- Fine motor skills
- Sensory exploration
Note: As with all of our activities, we recommend full supervision because, as we know, little ones like to explore with all of their senses - including their mouths!